Monday, February 28, 2011

What or who is your stronghold?

"The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"  Psalm 27

When I picture a stronghold two things come to my mind.  First, my own strongholds, those things can have a hold on me.  Second, a strong fortified city, or a tight grip.  What has a hold on you?  Is there a stronghold in your life that is not the Lord?  Have you ever thought about the Lord being your stronghold?  You see, this world has so much that can take our eyes off of Jesus.  It offers things that look appealing, even more appealing than holding on to Jesus.  We get afraid when we are not holding on in the right place and out of desperation crawl back to Jesus.  Yes, best place to go, yes, he is always there, but I don't know about you but I spent way too much of my life doing this.  Crawling back when I let go of him and realized that I can't do it alone.  Always feeling like something was missing that I sought him mainly when I got desperate but never knowing what to do to change it.  Remember, when Jesus is our stronghold we don't have to be afraid.  This is a promise - believe it, his promises are true.

Later in Psalm 27 David writes "You have said, 'Seek my face'.  My heart says to you. 'Your face Lord, do I seek.'"  Seek his face - just keep seeking - surrender all of who you are to him - open up every part of you to him - but just keep seeking him.  Having trouble with this?  Are you desiring more?  Wow, Jesus loves this.  Just keep on coming.  Reach out your hand to him because you see, his hand is reaching to you.  His hand is strong and steady.  He loves you.  I still fail - I still come crawling back to him when I do, but my  relationship with him is much stronger and I desire to seek him in all life situations, not just when things get tough. 

Slow down today and seek his face.  Close your eyes and begin with this song.
You are not condemned but free and forgiven.

No comments:

Post a Comment