Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Thorns

The other day I went for a much needed walk.  After spending the morning studying and preparing to take an online exam I just needed some good fresh air before the exam.  I love walking here because just down the road from our house is the river with a running/walking/biking trail that goes for 8 miles.  It's pretty in all seasons.  As I was coming near to were the trail begins I was struck by this tree on the side of the road.  I stopped and just looked at it.  (You can click on the image to enlarge it.)



I thought about Jesus - the crown of thorns that was put on his head.  I have never seen a tree with such big thorns.  Jesus endured this crown made out of thorns for me - for you.  Matthew 27:29 "and then twisting a crown of thorns, they put it on his head...they mocked him saying, "Hail, King of the Jews."

I cannot comprehend his love for me.  I cannot comprehend that he thought of me as he endured the suffering.  I cannot comprehend that he took all of my sin on himself.  I can only imagine the pain of just one of those thorns in my head.  Because of what Jesus did the following verse tells us what we receive.  Wow!

Isaiah 61:10  "I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels."

Lets live today claiming the truth - that we are forgiven and free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment